How Much Tourism Is Too Much, and Who Decides?
What are People Saying?
What can be done to smooth tensions between tourists and residents?
Is Hawaiʻi doing a good job with tourism management?
Can there be too much tourism? Who decides how much tourism is too much?
Have you been affected by tourism in your community?
Invited Guests: Stakeholders from the tourism industry, labor, government and communities from across Hawai‘i.
Confirmed guests include:
- Carl Bonham, University of Hawaiʻi Economic Research Organization
- Curt Cottrell, State Parks Division Administrator
- John De Fries, Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority President and CEO
- Eric Gill, Unite HERE Local 5 Financial Secretary
- Joel Guy, The Hanalei Initiative (Kauaʻi)
- Mufi Hannemann, Hawaiʻi Lodging and Tourism Assoc., President and CEO
- Napua Hueu, Hāna Highway Regulation (Maui)
- Peter Ingram, Hawaiian Airlines President and CEO
- Wendy J. Laros, Kona-Kohala Chamber of Commerce
- Greg Maples, Hawaii Restaurant Association
- Kathleen Pahinui, North Shore Neighborhood Board Chair (Oʻahu)
- Mahina Paishon-Duarte, Aloha ʻĀina Economic Futures
- Cindi Punihaole, Kahaluʻu Bay Education Center (Hawaiʻi Island)
- Mitch Roth, Hawaiʻi County Mayor
- Kelly Takaya King, Maui County Councilmember
- Mike Victorino, Maui County Mayor
- Keith Vieira, Principal at KV & Associates, Hospitality Consulting
- Tina Yamaki, Retail Merchants of Hawaii President
Join the Conversation: You can join the conversation by phoning in or leaving a comment Facebook or Twitter. KĀKOU will also stream live on our website and on PBS Hawaiʻi’s Facebook page.
Get Informed: Tourism Data and Stats
Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism
Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority
University of Hawaiʻi Public Policy Center